The McGrath Group is fully committed to the concept of sustainability. We recognise that the environment, communities and cultures within which we operate are vital to the success of our business. We aim to deliver sustainable solutions and are dedicated to improving sustainability performances that not only help our clients meet their objectives but also contribute to creating a low carbon economy and supporting thriving, vibrant communities in the process.
The recycling industry has a key role to play in reducing the consumption of natural resources and the McGrath Group is very conscious of its environmental responsibilities. The Group has embarked upon a holistic strategy to introduce carbon management into our standard methodology and management processes to help identify areas where environmental performance could be improved. Examples of carbon reduction activities include the introduction of traffic planning management systems and development of wharf facilities which replace road with water borne transport.
The Group is committed to supporting the waste industry in its journey towards a truly sustainable approach. This gives you the reassurance that by using our MRF facilities you and your clients are making a tangible contribution to the reduction, recycling and recovery of waste materials.
Our Research & Development and Commercial teams work closely to identify innovative recycling technologies and end uses for the materials we process.
The Group is also committed to implementing the very highest ethical standards and ensuring the procurement and purchasing decisions are made with reference to the principles of Fair Trade. The company adopts zero tolerance to bribery and corruption.
The company has developed sophisticated systems to ensure our clients’ wastes are managed in as sustainable way as possible. We have developed a Zero-to-Landfill system for processing wastes and the company provides industry-leading recycling rates.
Our Approach To Sustainability
The McGrath Group is dedicated to continuously improving on our sustainability performance to comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice. We:
- Encourage and develop our employees and supply chain partners to conduct their activities in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Consider all environmental factors in our operating decisions and activities giving full consideration to environmental issues and energy performance including the procurement of all goods and services.
- Monitor and minimise our use of water, fuel and other energy supplies.
- Adapt best operational practices to reduce environmental impacts of our activities and policies.
- Complete regular energy audits.
- Accessing our current carbon footprint and ways to offset.
- Continuously review our pollution output.
- Offer career development, support our team to be diverse, engaged, motivated and competent – together working towards the sustainable success of our business.
- Improve resource efficiency, sustainable consumption, and production, throughout our operations.
- Encourage ideas and innovation, internally and with our supply chain that can create financial savings and benefit our customers, society and environment.
- Commit to measuring our impact through Health, Safety and Environmental performance data, employee engagement surveys, customer satisfaction feedback and our financial performance.
- Achieve and maintain high levels of sustainable working that enhance our reputation and those of our clients.
- Ensure compliance to all regulations and statutory bodies with regard to the environment and sustainability.
- Collaborate within partnerships and supply chains and seek to embed “sustainable thinking” across activities throughout.
- Reduce any adverse impacts on the communities our operations affect, while simultaneously seek to source locally to aid local economies.
- Engage local communities through education and project liaison, and support them through charitable work, sponsorship and other support activities.
The McGrath Group acknowledge its responsibilities as an employer: This involves developing the skills and creativity within its workforce and our Continued Professional Development programme seeks to promote career progression. The Group also embraces the concept of diversity with reference to its workforce and actively promotes equal opportunities in full compliance with the Equality Act 2010.
We have embedded processes and procedures to ensure that we support and contribute to the communities which we serve. Activities to sustain this aim include recruiting staff and sourcing goods and services locally where possible. Donating complimentary waste services to charities or deserving causes and contributing to community events.
We operate an Environmental Management System (EMS) which is certificated against International Standard ISO14001:2004. This provides us with a structured, systematic framework to identify and assess the environmental aspects of our work, to develop and implement procedures to increase the sustainability of our processes and reduce the impact we and our clients have on the immediate and wider environment and the consequences for global climate change.
We proactively implement the concept of the “Hierarchy of Waste” to prioritise how clients’ waste materials are managed. Our Zero-to-Landfill system and industry-leading performance – over 95% of wastes are re-used or recycled with just 5% processed into energy – helps clients to demonstrate environmental best practice.
Air quality measurements and waste water sampling are undertaken at the MRFs and the data analysed against ‘acceptable limits’. Pollution from vehicles is assessed using manufacturers’ technical data, and we operate a fleet tracking system that enables us to reduce unnecessary road miles. We monitor our procedures for handling the hazardous wastes we process to prevent contamination and ensure disposal is restricted and contained in licensed landfill sites.
We have introduced a number of initiatives to reduce the carbon emissions generated by our activities.
- GPS/route-planning functionality
- Local resourcing
- Use of balers & compactors
- Certification to ISO 50001
- Scope 3 compatible waste reporting
- Registration with the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme
We understand the importance of developing strong relationships with the communities we serve. We have a reputation for taking our commitment to engage beyond operational best practice and offering added value initiatives.
As the public face of the McGrath Group our operational teams are given training in customer care and how to engage with clients, with particular emphasis placed on politeness, respect and consultation.
We are also committed to sharing the knowledge of our specialist disciplines with clients, stakeholders and the wider community. We are very pro-active in initiating or contributing to programmes and campaigns to stimulate resource efficiency, educate end-users about the benefits of recycling and give practical advice about how they can help by recovering and recycling waste at source. We also organise tours of our Barking based MRF in Greater London which allows customers and the public to see first-hand how wastes are recycled.